Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Little foxes

"Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes."  Song of Solomon 2:15

On the drive to work today, as I approached the culvert which separates our property from that of our neighbors I spooked a Mama fox and her two kits.  I tried for a picture but they were just too fast for me.  It was lovely to see them but a conversation with one of our neighbors came to mind, specifically, "fox got 'em".  Which he told me in reference to another neighbors chickens.  I said a prayer of safety for my little brood. 

Seeing these foxes also reminded me of the quote from the Song of Solomon and how appropriate it can be in everyday life.  I still don't have a cable that will allow me to post the new photos I promised.  My ever so handy husband told me he thought the cell phone charger would work, so I didn't go out and buy a replacement.  Alas, the end of the phone charge is for a smaller USB port than my camera so it wouldn't work and I still can't post new photos.  Small disappointments like this are the little foxes in our lives.  If we are not careful we can let them spoil an otherwise pleasant day (our tender vines). 

How delightful to see these fox babies on a beautiful late spring morning...but seeing them also brings anxiety:   "fox got 'em".      


So I have tried to rest in the knowledge that my chicks are covered with a prayer for their safety and that God gave us the wisdom to bury a foot of hardware cloth all around their pen to keep predators from digging under the enclosure!

I also thought I should start a log of wildlife sightings each day.  So today's entry would be:
Numerous Antelope
Numerous Ground Squirrels
Swainson's Hawk
Mama fox and her two kits
Meadowlarks
Horned Larks
Lark Bunting
House Wren

How did you deal with your little foxes today?

No comments:

Post a Comment