Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Sad 6 Month Anniversary





I face this day with much sadness in my heart.  We lost my sweet boy six months ago to liver cancer.  As you can see from his puppy pictures we got him when he was only 7 weeks old.  He was the light of my life for 15 years, my constant companion, the friend who never told my secrets, next to my wonderful husband my other best friend. 

Before we got him I prayed for months that God would provide me with a special dog friend.  Someone who I could love and take care of, someone God made just for me.  Someone I could share my life with for a long, long time.  My boy was the answer to this prayer.  He was not perfect, he was willful and headstrong and we often had clashes of wills.  A typical terrier, he wanted his way but the obedience school we both attended taught me how to deal with his temper.  We even graduated "Most Improved".  A dubious honor I'm sure but one I bragged on repeatedly.

He loved both of us very much but truth be told he was my dog.  When my husband was away on business or hunting, my boy watched over me.  When I went out of town visiting family, he would come with me.  He was always happiest when both of his people where with him but it was his duty to be with me, protecting me, keeping me company, making me feel safe.  I was so much in love with this wee brave boy, that I never wanted another.  I wanted him to have all of my love, all of my attention.  He was worth it.  He satisfied his need for other canine companions during our daily walks, or with cousin dogs or with the strays we would bring home from our walks to find their owners.  He was always a generous pup and would show his guest where his food was, his water dish and then bring them out to the back yard and show them around.

We walked all over together and delighted in finding a new trail to share.  For about a year before his death I would sing him a special song which I repeated while I held him in my arms for the last time.  It is my tribute to this wonderful, brave and loving Cairn:.

If I survey all the good things that come to me from above
If I count all the blessings from the storehouse of love
I’d simply ask for the favor of him beyond mortal men
And I’m sure that he would grant it again
I want to stroll over Heaven with you some glad day
When all our troubles and heartaches are vanished away
Then we’ll enjoy the beauty where all things are new
I want to stroll over Heaven with you

So many places of beauty we long to see here below
But time and treasures have kept us from making plans as you know
But come the morning of the rapture together we’ll stand a new
While I stroll over Heaven with you
I want to stroll over Heaven with you some glad day
When all our troubles and heartaches are vanished away
Then we’ll enjoy the beauty where all things are new
I want to stroll over Heaven with you 

I believe that my darling boy is waiting in heaven for me.  Being the typical Cairn, he is enjoying himself with Jesus but he's waiting for the day his Mom comes to be with him again and we can live out the words of this old gospel hymn.

I thank God that He let me take care of this wee pup for the time that He did.  I praise Him for the work He did in my life through this dog and I know, that I know, that I know He is now taking care of my boy again and that I will see him in heaven.  I am sad that he is no longer a part of my life and I still cry over his passing but I rest in the knowledge of where he is and who he's with.

Someone sent me an email with a sentence I thought was so meaningful, I printed it out and have it hanging on my boys picture.

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment