Friday, April 13, 2012

Laundry Soap

I broke down and made my own laundry soap today.  I got the recipe from a blogger many of you already know, here.  I even used the same way to grate the soap that Mary Jane used! 
I had tried it previously but grated the bars of soap by hand and was never very happy with the finished product.  It never seemed to dissolve in the wash, I think the bar soap was too chunky.  Using my Kitchen Aid attachment not only sped the process up but made the grated soap much finer.  As you can see in the picture I used Kirk's Castile soap.  I found a 3 pack of them at the local big box retailer.  I like the soap Mary Jane uses as it adds color to the finished product so maybe next time I'll try a different type of bar soap.  I do like the fragrance of the Kirk's so I didn't add any essential oils for fragrance.  The other ingredients in the recipe are:

I had to measure out the 4 pounds of Baking Soda since this was a bigger bag than needed but the other ingredients just got their whole box dumped into the mix.  So that's it, super fast to make!  Since there are no fillers in this you only use 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mix for a wash load.  I washed my first load this morning before going to work so I'll have to report back how I liked it.

Do you make your own soap?  If not give this a try and let me know how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment