Monday, April 16, 2012

Garden Time


The horseradish that friends gave us last year (mistakenly thinking they were rhubarb) are doing quite well it looks like.  I kept thinking last year that this plant was a funny looking rhubarb and I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be horseradish instead.  When it poked it's head up this spring I took some pictures and asked my farmgirl friends here what they thought the mystery plant might be.  Yup!  Horseradish.  A funny but very tasty mistake!
Hopefully, we'll have yummy strawberries in the not too distant future!  There are also raspberries, asparagus, sage, lavender and oregano all coming back from last years plants.  I also have a thyme that I'm not sure survived. 

The new raised beds my every so handy husband made for me this spring.  Our soil is not the best so we put lots of composted manure and some peat moss in these beds and then tilled them all together with the existing soil.  I was able to plant some romaine lettuce, crisp head lettuce, spinach, bush peas and some green onions seeds this past weekend.  Sometime this week I'll be putting in some potatoes, more strawberries, more asparagus and a real rhubarb.

This is one of my favorite times of year.  I love going around and seeing which old friends are coming back in the garden.  I hope you'll be one of those friends that keep coming back to visit Prairie Cairn Cottage. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment