Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Letting the Cat out of the Bag

 
Last night I walked past the dining table only to discover Mr. Tabby had crawled into one of my work tote bags.  With a picture like this I think I was obliged to label this post as I have.

What I want to let out of the bag however, is that I have been seriously bitten by the sewing bug!  It all began with the Christmas stockings I made for Mr. Tabby and Little Black Brindle.  Then I started a new bed quilt which got interrupted by the pillow cases I made My Ever So Handy Husband for Valentine's Day.  That was followed by a table runner and another quilt (a local Block of the Month).  I've shared with you the stockings and pillow cases which so far are the only completed projects and will post more about the other projects later on.

We are having a Missions Dinner at Church in a few weeks.  The theme this year is a Hawaiian Luau complete with a pig roast.  The participants are encouraged to wear Hawaiian shirts for men and muumuus for women.  You may be asking yourself what this has to do with this post?  Well, fear not!  The explanation is as follows:  Not owning a muumuu myself I was trying to decided what to do when that pesky sewing bug bit me again! 

Here is the fabric for the muumuu I plan on making for the church dinner and a picture of the dress.  Being the proverbial optimist, I just know this dress is going to go together in a snap.  And since warmer days are just around the corner (and I fell in love with the blue flower fabric) I thought I just might as well make two!  Mind you, I have not successfully sewn an article of clothing for myself since 1971 but I just know this is going to be a piece of cake!
 
 If that were not enough unfinished projects, I also signed up to make some baby blankets for a ministry at Church.  Wouldn't you know it, when I was at the fabric store I found these darling flannels.  I think this will make a good start to the number of blankets I volunteered to make.


So two dresses, three blankets, two quilts and a table runner.  Hmmm...looks like my trusty Elna will be getting a workout soon. 

I think sewing for oneself and for our cottages is the newest resurrected craft.  I certainly have seen a lot of blog posts about sewing projects of all kinds.  Are you starting to sew more for yourself?  I'd love to hear what kind of projects you've got on your sewing table.

Thanks for coming to visit us at Prairie Cairn Cottage.  I hope you come back and bring your sewing machine so you can sew with me.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment