Monday, September 10, 2012

Goodness!  Where does the time get too?  All is well here at Prairie Cairn Cottage but rather bland; busy yet nothing exciting.  Life in general I suppose and I'm grateful for a chance to just experience the gentle routine of everyday.

What remains of the garden (if you recall we got hailed out this year) still requires attention.  My herbs seem to thrive in the benign neglect they've received and the weeds have all but taken over.  I'm valiantly trying to reclaim the garden from the tumbleweeds but one can only do so much bending and pulling massive weeds before muscles spasms force them out of the game for the day.  Still, a little everyday makes a difference; I'm just hoping to be able to finish the task before the first snows. 
Little Black Brindle has taken over our hearts and home and I can't imagine life without him.  He and Tabby are getting along like best friends.  Tabby has made herself (his self?  We still don't know) at home and acts like there was never a time when it didn't live at Prairie Cairn Cottage.

The chicks have grown into dear sweet hens and are blessing us with at least one egg per day if not two.  I still think one is not laying yet but she should be any day now.  Little Pearl was always the smallest of the group so I expect she is still enjoying her last days of chickhood.
Crafting has taking a backseat to other chores at the moment but I do have an exciting new toy that I'll post on later.  You say you want me to give you a hint?  Well, it's something that will allow me to make my favorite knitted dish cloths in about 20 minutes as opposed to a month. 
So the last precious days of summer are being enjoyed and savored at Prairie Cairn Cottage.  I always get a bit melancholy at this time of year, knowing the days grow short and the nights grow longer.  Regretting lost chances of vine ripened tomatoes or getting fruit trees and bushes established before the winter cold sets in, not being able to decorate with the pumpkins I grew with my own hard work.  But there will other opportunities ahead, chili on a cold blustery day, hot apple cider sipped while watching the sun set.  One thing I have been saving for fall, a new recipe for Pumpkin Ice Cream that I have been dying to try.  I keep telling myself, patience dear one, pumpkin always tastes best in October and November.

I hope you are enjoying these last bits of summer.  And thank you for visiting with me at Prairie Cairn Cottage; I hope you'll come back.     

No comments:

Post a Comment