Saturday, January 12, 2013

Elderberry Syrup

With all the coughing and sneezing we've been hearing in public and the reports of flu all across the country I've been a bit worried about catching something.  Last year I read about Elderberry Syrup and it's health benefits and how it aids our bodies in warding off viruses; I bought some and had a fairly healthy winter.  The cost was exorbitant though, I think I paid $17.00 for a 4 ounce bottle.  I recently read on the Mary Jane's Farmgirl Forum two different posts about making your own Elderberry Syrup and I just finished making a batch.

This is the recipe I used (a combination of both posts I read)

1 cup dried Elderberries
3 cups water
3 small slices of dried ginger root (you can use fresh and to taste)
1 tsp. cinnamon  

Mix the above 4 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil.  Lower heat and let simmer 1 hour.  Strain the juice into a jar (the berries will stain so you might want to use an old cloth);let cool slightly then squeeze the cloth to get all the juice from the berries.

The recipe then calls for 1 cup honey (or to taste).  My finished juice was palatable enough that I didn't feel the need to add any sweetener.  I did add 1 T alcohol; I used vodka, the recipe called for brandy but since it's there only as a preservative I don't think it matters what you use; the other recipe didn't call for any alcohol. 

Store the finished syrup in the refrigerator.  Take 2-3 T daily.

My Elderberries cost $2.38.  The rest of the ingredients would add to that cost but not much.  I got 2/3 cup of juice which is roughly 5 ounces, even if you add $1.00 for each of the other ingredients I used it would still only cost me $5.38 for 5 ounces.  $17.00 for 4 ounces or $5.38 for 5 ounces.  I think we've saved some money here.

Thanks for joining me here at Prairie Cairn Cottage.  We pray for a healthy cold and flu season for you and us.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment